We believe that children and families are central to everything we do. We believe in understanding and responding to the needs of our community. We believe in collaboration, support for each other and mutual respect.
Family-Centred Child Care
Family Day recognizes the importance of the family and the community in child development. As a family-centred child care organization, we work to strengthen the relationships among children, families and communities. Family Day understands that culture, diversity, community and public policy affect child and family development. We support our families, and recognize and respect parents as being the most important caregivers for children. Parents and staff are partners in caring for children.
The following eight key principles guide Family Day staff:
- Each family has its own characteristics, strengths and resources.
- All families have strengths.
- Children and their families are part of a community.
- Families have the most influence on their children.
- Parents have interests, roles and responsibilities in addition to their family responsibilities.
- There are many ways for a family to be involved with their child’s care.
- Families and staff both have something to offer each other.
- Staff have opportunities to develop family centred child care practices.
Our commitment to family-centred care means:
- Family members are encouraged to become involved in our programs.
- We promote partnerships with families through communication materials (such as newsletters) and via special events and programs.
- Staff and caregivers honour family diversity and values.
- Staff and caregivers support parents’ efforts to advocate for their children.
- We work to establish links between families and the community.
- Family Day parents, staff and caregivers are partners in caring for children. We work to develop relationships that build trust and confidence.