EARLY LITERACY SPECIALISTS – PROGRAM UPDATE
With the transformation of EarlyON programs came the transformation of the Early Literacy Specialist Role
At the beginning of 2018, York Region became responsible for the management of EarlyON programs within the region. This intiative was part of the Ministry of Education’s journey towards evolving and integrating early years programs and services in Ontario.
As part of the transformation of EarlyON programs and services, York Region created a new role known as Community Program Coordinators (CPC).
The CPC’s role is to provide consultation to EarlyON centres, deliver necessary resources and program support, provide professional development opportunities and conduct site visits.
The Region recognized an overlap and duplication of services provided by the Early Learning Specialists and the Community Program Coordinators and effective January 1, 2020 the two roles were combined into one.
Community Program Coordinators:
- Provide resources for EarlyON programs
- Officer program support
- Are experts in the teaching/instruction methodology and principles (Pedagogists)
- Offer professional development opportunities
- Conduct EarlyON site visits
- Foster community connections
- Support quality assurance
- Carry out contract management
Community Program Coordinators are employed by the Regional Municipality of York. Please direct any questions to email@example.com.