UPDATE | November 20, 2022 (6:00 PM)
All Family Day Early Learning & Child Care, Before & After School, and EarlyON programs will be open as usual on Monday, November 21, 2022.
The Government of Ontario and CUPE Education Workers have come to a tentative deal. All schools and school-based early years and child care programs will be open as usual tomorrow.
Thank you to our families and members of staff for your patience and understanding as we have worked through these labour developments.
UPDATE | November 18, 2022 (4:00PM)
Province-wide walkout of Education Support Workers on Monday, November 21st will impact Family Day Programs
Earlier this week, the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) issued the province with a 5-day notice of its plans to strike, as contract negotiations between Education Support Workers and the provincial government have stalled. A province-wide withdrawal of services could begin as early as this coming Monday, November 21st, leaving schools without a range of Education Support Workers including administration staff, librarians, early childhood educators and custodians.
It is up to each school board to decide if child care programs will be allowed to operate, and under what circumstances. Family Day’s Child Care, Before & After School, and EarlyON programs will be impacted.
We have now received confirmation from school boards in Peel, Toronto, and York about what measures they intend to take. Please see below to determine the impacts to Family Day programs in your area in the event that a province-wide walk-out of Education Workers takes place on Monday, November 21st.
- Family Day Early Learning & Child Care Centres will be allowed to remain open, with regular hours.
- Family Day will not have access to Before & After School program space. All Before and After School programs will be closed.
- EarlyON in-person programs will be closed, except for Springdale EarlyON (Brampton). Virtual and outdoor programs will be available.
- Family Day Early Learning & Child Care Centres will be allowed to remain open, but we are required to observe reduced hours of operation. Programs will be open from 8:00 AM until 4:30 PM
- The following Before and After School programs will be open, but with modified hours of operation*:
- Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati
- Silver Springs
- St Barnabas
- St Sylvester
- The Divine Infant
* We are in the process of confirming the hours of operation for the above school age programs. Please check back here for updates.
- EarlyON programs offered in school locations, will be cancelled. Our EarlyON programs being offered from sites other than school locations, will operate as usual.
- Family Day Early Learning & Child Care Centres will be allowed to remain open, but we are required to observe reduced hours of operation. Programs will close at 4:30 PM
- Family Day will not have access to Before & After School program space. All Before and After School programs and Homework Plus programs will be closed.
- EarlyON programs offered in school locations, will be cancelled. EarlyON programs being offered from sites other than schools, will operate as usual.
This situation continues to evolve and this information is based on what we know at the moment. We understand not having concrete information is difficult for families. We are monitoring the situation and will share updates with you as the situation evolves. Please continue to check back here for further information. Thank you.
Wednesday, November 16, 2022 (4:15 PM)
This morning, the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) announced that Education Workers have given notice of a full withdrawal of their services, beginning as early as this coming Monday, November 21, 2022, unless a negotiated agreement with the Ontario government can be reached.
Should a strike take place, many schools across the province will be closed to in-person learning. This has the potential to also impact Family Day child care and EarlyON programs that are delivered from school locations.
This is a rapidly evolving situation. We know that the school boards are actively working on contingency plans and expect to hear further details from them soon regarding their intentions for child care and EarlyON programs.
We recognize the stress this uncertainty causes for our families and members of staff. As soon as we know more and details become clear, we will provide updates.
Please check back here regularly for further information.